Friday, 7 August 2026

a poor throwing week

Hello friends-
I'm off work for a little bit for a small break with friends and then a family visit, it's sort of early morning and I don't have the WiFi at my friend's house so I thought I'd give a mini update. 

The title pretty much describes it, the past couple weeks I haven't done much good throwing; a little bit of practice, and a bunch in the reclaim bucket. I wondered if it's a combination of the clay not being in the best condition (still need to learn to wedge), plus the hot weather, plus me being out of practice and I think being less assertive/forceful when centering!

I have had some nice clay related chats recently though and I'm eager to get back to practicing when I get home and when there's a decent window of time available. 

Below is a handful of ok mugs I made, I've only made a handful so far, these were a much more solid blue than I'd hoped as the glaze seemed to have thickened a lot more than expected. I've given these away!

For two of them I hand dipped the pots into the glaze and left finger marks intentionally, but I don't think it works with such a strong and opaque application like this!

---

Art wise, I got impatient with Etsy taking forever to delete my account (so I could remake it) and then remembered folksy exists, so I've started a folksy shop. I'll see how it goes, folksy is certainly not as big or well known as Etsy, but it could turn out to be a good thing, and their fees feel a lot more transparent and possibly also are cheaper overall 🤔 

I've also been sketching here and there, nothing remarkable at all, a lot of ugly mud pies. My sketchbook is definitely not an 'aesthetic' thing to show people in a video (like I've seen on other artists' YouTube channels, etc), it's messy and chaotic and a dumping ground for very hastily scribbled ideas, notes and to do list.

No comments:

Post a Comment